Innocently enough, I started out with a barbell and plates, a bench, and some plate loaded dumbbells.
Flash forward 7 years later and I have nearly $8000 invested in a one car garage functional fitness gym with an overflow powerlifting gym in the basement. I also have $1000 invested in vintage weight plates.
I have 1 rack, 2 benches, 1750 pounds of plates, 6 barbells and 4 pairs of collars.
I have secured a plethora of functional fitness equipment including 2 kettlebells, 4 med balls and 2 sets of plyometric boxes.
The gym has morphed as my needs have morphed.
In 2015, it was simply to have a few items at home to practice with.
In 2016, it was a functional fitness gym to complement a globo gym
In 2020, it became a primary gym
In 2022, it is in transition
What do I want to do in this space?
(2) Functional Fitness
I cannot accomplish both well in the space I have.
I currently have a Crossfit Gym membership that feels permanent. I use the Reverse Hyper and Glute Ham Developer; but do not have these at home. I swim at Carmody Rec Center and cannot recreate this training at home.
Starting from scratch I would go with:
- Half Rack with weight storage (I like the mobility of the Yoke for use at home)
- 45# Barbell
- Bumper Plates (3) 45, (2) 25, (2) 15, (2) 10
- Change Plates 10-5-2.5-1.25
- Fractional Plates
I could get there by selling the Yoke, buying a half rack with storage and upgrading the Beater Bar to a Texas Power Bar
- Pull-up Bar
- 14# Med Ball
- 35# Kettlebell
- Climbing Rope
- Gymnastics Rings
- (2) Abmats
- Jump Ropes
- Strongman Sandbag
- Plyo Boxes
- Dumbbells - 15-25-35-50
- Gymnastics Mat
- Romwod stretching mat
- Crossover Symmetry
To get here, I would need to buy a strongman sandbag and a RomWod mat and get rid of my cheap foam mat
I like having a Concept2 Rower, but it is overkill for a home gym ($990)
That being said, I have some items that I like and am not parting with regardless of use including
- Atlas Stones (paid $60)
- Parallettes (paid $20)
- Brute Force Sandbag (paid $125)
- Battle Rope (paid $30)
- Bulgarian Bag (paid $100)
- Plate Carrier (net $55, sold heavier plates)
- Steel Mace (paid $40)
- Chains (paid $23)
- York Roundheads (ongoing 7-7-20-20-25-50 = $225)
- Vintage Iron Plates (ongoing = $930)
- York EZ Curl Bar, Curl Bar and Ironman Plates ($40 + $8 + $60)
I am attached to these as they are hard to find unique items that are not found in commercial gyms or micro gyms
I do have some oddball stuff that served me well, but now is not necessary
- Technique Bar and Plates (paid $140, sell $100?)
- 15kg Barbell (paid $210, sell $150)
- Standard Barbell Handles and Plates (paid $12, sell 50 cents/pound)
Really should sell ($870)
- Axle Bar - $20
- Back Extension - $200
- Ab Bench - $200
- Titan Silencer Pad - $100
- Mutt Bar - $50
- Hi Temp Bumper Plates - $300
I got a little carried away buying dumbbells and somehow have 15-20-25-27.5-30-35-40-45-50-60#