Keeping in touch with the community has also got me a line on some heavier roundheads that I may be able to trade my way into.
- 1-1-1 - one from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022, 2 from (Bruce Victor 10/20/2022, VWS)
- 2-2 - from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022
- 3-3 - one from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022, one from Michael Lumanog 10/22/2022 VWS
- 4-4 - from Michael Lumanog 10/22/2022 VWS
- 5-5 - from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022
- 6-6 - want, uncommon, had a chance to buy USA stamped for $120 Michael Lumanog 10/22/2022
- 7-7 - have (2/4/2022, Craigslist)
- 8-8 - have (7/23/2022, Craigslist)
- 9-9 - rare
- 10-10 - from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022
- 12-12 - uncommon, pair changed hands for $125 on 7/28 VWS, another pair changed hands for $165 Bruce Victor (Pre-USA) 10/26/2022
- 15-15 - one (7/24/2022, Facebook Marketplace), pair from Jesse Rome 10/20/2022 Facebook Marketplace)
- 20-20 - have (1/4/2022)
- 25-25 - have (1/4/2022, Facebook Marketplace, 7/27/2022, VWS)
- 30-30 - have (6/26/2022, Facebook Marketplace)
- 35-35 -
- 40-40 - have three (7/27/2022, 10/12/2022, VWS, Chris, sold one locally)
- 45-45 - have one (10/12/2022, Chris)
- 50-50 - have (2/5/2022, 10/12/2022 Facebook Marketplace, Chris)
- 55 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 60 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, one from Joshua Kost (10/20/2022, VWS)
- 65 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 70 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 75 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 80 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 85 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 90 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 95 - one from Chris 10/12/2022
- 100 - have from Chris 10/12/2022
I am not sure if I am interested in the smalls and as I get above 30, the roundheads are increasingly fragile if dropped. I will continue to be opportunistic. I have 285# of roundheads. I would like another 40 and 50, but may forego the 35s and 45s. I will get the 5s and the 10s (even if I have to pay Ebay prices). Considering that dumbbells pop up very infrequently on the front range, I could expect to complete my abbreviated set by next summer.
This has been a lot of fun for me and certainly inspiring the way that early coin collectors must have been when they pencil etched coins and described them in letters or sent them in the mail on trust and let the buyers return what they were not interested in. There are no price guides, but knowledgeable collectors or flippers know the market value in their area, relative rarity and can grab items from garage sales, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Play It Again Sports, Offerup, salvage yards and even occasionally the side of the road. Finding a premium plate for under market value is like finding silver coins in your pocket change. Nobody is getting rich doing it, but it sure is fun. And who knows, you may even come across a $10,000 coin in your pocket change.
UPDATE: 7/28/2022 - By dumb luck, I happened across a fellow Iron Collectors ad on Ebay. We worked out a lot of 5-5-3-2-2-1 for $50 and a pair of 10s for $35. He was willing to take two milled 5s in trade to offset $25 which seems fair as I have heard the going rate is between $2 and $3 per pound.
UPDATE: 10/12/2022 - Huge haul of 1050# of Roundheads including 100's. I never planned on assembling over 50#, but maybe I can now. Despite being in for $1485, I am only 60% complete at 1333#. I need 10 smalls (most are difficult to find), 4 mediums (should not be bad and this is my highest priority), 9 heavies (still not sure if I want to complete these.
UPDATE: 10/21/2022 - Happened into a local pair of 15's and via Vintage Weightlifting Swap, I managed to pair of some of my singles.
The 6-9-12 I will probably have to pay $10/pound unless I find them in the wild. That would be $540. The 35-35-45-55-65-70-75 I could probably swing for $1.5/lb. That would be $380.
With any luck, I could trade down my 80-85-90-95-100-100 for $1/lb. $550
My Vintage Weightlifting Swap advertisement would read:
ISO York RH 6-6-9-9-12-12-35-35-45-55-65-70-75
Available for trade/sale York RH [USA Stamped] - 80-85-90-95-100-100; [Pre-USA] - 1-15