Yet another find in the wild. I came across a 12 day old ad on Craigslist by C Todd who had listed 8 pound roundheads. I e-mailed and they were still available. I combined a trip to the Thornton Outlets with a 1 hour 20 minute drive to pick these up. Love them and love the $15 price. Before I could even complete this post, I found a 15 pound roundhead in the wild, but ended up driving 40 minutes to Aurora to pick it up for $10.
Keeping in touch with the community has also got me a line on some heavier roundheads that I may be able to trade my way into.
- 1-1-1 - one from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022, 2 from (Bruce Victor 10/20/2022, VWS)
- 2-2 - from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022
- 3-3 - one from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022, one from Michael Lumanog 10/22/2022 VWS
- 4-4 - from Michael Lumanog 10/22/2022 VWS
- 5-5 - from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022
- 6-6 - want, uncommon, had a chance to buy USA stamped for $120 Michael Lumanog 10/22/2022, purchased Pre-USA for $120 from Rob Ert 3/6/2023
- 7-7 - have (2/4/2022, Craigslist)
- 8-8 - have (7/23/2022, Craigslist)
- 9-9 - rare ($400 on Ebay), local pair on Facebook Marketplace scooped by Michael Lee 2/20/2023; Purchased from Bruce Victor 5/7/2023, VWS
- 10-10 - from Benjamin Beaulieu 8/4/2022
- 12 - uncommon, pair changed hands for $125 on 7/28/2022 VWS, another pair changed hands for $165 Bruce Victor (Pre-USA) 10/26/2022, Jonathan Maggio listed a pair of USA stamped for $200 (2/27/2023), picked up single 12 from Rob Ert on 3/12/2023 VWS, picked up a single USA stamped from Ed Lagenfeld on 4/7/2023 VWS.
- 15-15-15-15-15 - one (7/24/2022, Facebook Marketplace), pair from Jesse Rome 10/20/2022 Facebook Marketplace), pair from Jayson B 3/12/2023 VWS
- 20-20 - have (1/4/2022)
- 25-25 - have (1/4/2022, Facebook Marketplace, 7/27/2022, VWS)
- 30-30 - have (6/26/2022, Facebook Marketplace)
- 35-35 - should be able to find these for $100, purchased from Jayson B on 3/12/2023 VWS
- 40-40 - have (7/27/2022, 10/12/2022, VWS, Chris, sold one locally)
- 45 - have one (10/12/2022, Chris), should be able to find for $60
- 50-50-50 - have (2/5/2022, 10/12/2022, 1/17/2023; Facebook Marketplace, Chris, Andre)
- 55 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, should be able to find for $75
- 60 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, one from Joshua Kost (10/20/2022, VWS)
- 65 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, should be able to find for $90
- 70 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, shipping difficult, $100?
- 75 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, shipping difficult, $100?
- 80 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, shipping difficult, $120?
- 85 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, shipping difficult, $120?
- 90 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, shipping difficult, will be $200?
- 95 - one from Chris 10/12/2022, shipping difficult, will be $200?
- 100 - have from Chris 10/12/2022
I am not sure if I am interested in the smalls and as I get above 30, the roundheads are increasingly fragile if dropped. I will continue to be opportunistic. I have 285# of roundheads. I would like another 40 and 50, but may forego the 35s and 45s. I will get the 5s and the 10s (even if I have to pay Ebay prices). Considering that dumbbells pop up very infrequently on the front range, I could expect to complete my abbreviated set by next summer.
This has been a lot of fun for me and certainly inspiring the way that early coin collectors must have been when they pencil etched coins and described them in letters or sent them in the mail on trust and let the buyers return what they were not interested in. There are no price guides, but knowledgeable collectors or flippers know the market value in their area, relative rarity and can grab items from garage sales, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Play It Again Sports, Offerup, salvage yards and even occasionally the side of the road. Finding a premium plate for under market value is like finding silver coins in your pocket change. Nobody is getting rich doing it, but it sure is fun. And who knows, you may even come across a $10,000 coin in your pocket change.
UPDATE: 7/28/2022 - By dumb luck, I happened across a fellow Iron Collectors ad on Ebay. We worked out a lot of 5-5-3-2-2-1 for $50 and a pair of 10s for $35. He was willing to take two milled 5s in trade to offset $25 which seems fair as I have heard the going rate is between $2 and $3 per pound.
UPDATE: 10/12/2022 - Huge haul of 1050# of Roundheads including 100's. I never planned on assembling over 50#, but maybe I can now. Despite being in for $1485, I am only 60% complete at 1333#. I need 10 smalls (most are difficult to find), 4 mediums (should not be bad and this is my highest priority), 9 heavies (still not sure if I want to complete these.
UPDATE: 10/21/2022 - Happened into a local pair of 15's and via Vintage Weightlifting Swap, I managed to pair of some of my singles.
UPDATE: 3/12/2023 - I have been on a bit of a spree picking up some smalls and a pair of 35s at collector prices. Not the end of the world, but still a significant expense outlay.
UPDATE: 4/12/2023 - Found a USA stamped 12 that looks great.
The 9-9 I will probably have to pay $300 for, unless I find them in the wild. The 45-55 I could probably swing for $1.5/lb. That would be $150.
With any luck, I could trade down my 65-70-75-80-85-90-95-100-100 for $2-3/lb. $1,520-$2,280
My Vintage Weightlifting Swap advertisement would read:
ISO York RH 45-55
Available for trade/sale York RH [USA Stamped] - 50-65-70-75-80-85-90-95-100-100; [Pre-USA] - 1-15-15-15
Heavies (need 55-65-70-75-80-85-90-95)
Post a Comment